Herpes is a sexually transmitted disease that affects over 45 million adolescents and adults in America. People are primarily infected with this disease via sexual intercourse with an infected person, but it can be acquired in other ways. Unfortunately, being a virus, there is no vaccine or cure for herpes at this time and treatment of the disease focuses on alleviating or preventing the outbreak of sores associated with the medical condition.
While there are a number of pharmaceutical medications on the market designed for managing the disease, not everyone is keen on using these drugs. Without medical insurance, these medicines can be expensive. Additionally, they often cause side effects. For example, the side effects associated with the medication Valtrex include nausea, stomach pain, headache, joint main, rash, and depression.
Here is a list of natural at-home remedies you can use for genital and oral herpes treatment.
Natural and Herbal Treatments for Herpes Sores
- Herpeset: This is an homeopathic oral spray designed to prevent outbreaks as well as reduce the severity and duration of symptoms when outbreaks occur. It features a powerful blend of nine ingredients (such as Rhus Tox and Wild Indigo) that have been known to alleviate common herpes symptoms such as stinging, burning, itching, and pain. Since it is applied to the tongue, it’s absorbed into the bloodstream faster so it works quicker than other remedies. For more information about Herpeset, visit homepage for comprehensive review of this herpes treatment.
- Cold and Warm Compresses: Oral herpes causes cold sores to appear on the lips. Many times, these sores will disappear 2 weeks after the outbreak occurs. Applying a hot or cold compress to the sores will relieve pain.
- Lysine: Studies indicate that lysine may reduce the number of outbreaks and the length of time the outbreak is active when it does occur. You can increase the amount of lysine in your diet by eating more foods that contain this essential nutrient. Another option is to take a daily lysine supplement. Be aware that lysine can interact poorly with certain medicine. It is best to check with your doctor first before you take the second option.
- Zinc: In laboratory studies, herpes sores healed faster in people who applied a cream containing zinc to the lesion. It has also been shown to reduce symptoms of herpes. Zinc can be purchased online or at natural food stores and combined with your favorite moisturizer. However, zinc in high doses can be harmful to health. It can also interfere with effectiveness of certain antibiotics and pain relieving drugs.
- Lemon Balm: Topical ointments containing lemon balm have been shown to reduce or eliminate herpes symptoms quickly. In one study, participants who used lemon balm saw a reduction in redness and swelling within two days. Like zinc, you can find creams and lotions that have lemon balm as the main ingredient. You can also purchase it singly and make your own herpes remedy.
- Aloe Vera: Most people recognize Aloe Vera as a sunburn reliever. However, studies indicate that it may reduce the duration and severity of genital herpes symptoms in men. The sores healed faster in men who used an Aloe Very cream than those who used a placebo. When shopping for an Aloe Very cream, it is probably best to use one designed for sensitive skin since it can be used on the genitals.
While you can’t get rid of herpes, you can treat the uncomfortable and embarrassing symptoms associated with the disease. Take your time finding a treatment that works for you at the homepage of this website.